Giving Thanks for the Kids Table!!

Posted by Glenwood Custom Cabinetry Glenwood Custom Cabinetry

As a child, I can remember vividly being sequestered to the "KIDS TABLE" at holiday time.  After helping Mom and Grandma cook and bake and set a beautiful table for the adults, I was handed my plate (one of the mis-matched every-day melamine ones!) and sent packing down the hall to the Kids Table.  There I would sit with my brother and my cousins (all boys!!) where they would talk ad nausium about Cars, Trucks, Legos, and all things BOYS, while I would hear the sounds of laughter and merriment at the adult table, longing for the day when I would get to sit with them.

SPOILER ALERT:  It wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.  Once I finally got there, I found that their brand of humor was over my head and primarily boring to my young adult ears...but alas...

So I thought I'd start out early and gather some ideas for the kids that will be sequestered at my home this year so that they do not feel left out or unappreciated.  I have learned over the years that when the kids are occupied and happy, the adults have a little more time to relax and enjoy their meals...and here are a few ideas I've gathered:

Get a sheet of simple craft paper for the table cloth.  (I plan on taping it down so that little legs don't get caught up in it)

the best things about craft paper is that it can go out with the recycling when you're done...but in the meantime it can be host to your kids' works of art.

Here's another idea:  Copy and paste if you like!  Great for keeping the kiddos busy once they're done playing with their food!

This is a beautiful centerpiece if you think the kids won't knock them over:

I also thought this activity would be nice:

You can find instructions here:
http://www.parents.com/holiday/thanksgiving/crafts/simple-thanksgiving-day-crafts/

...and after the big meal is over, I'm STILL a firm believer is keeping the kids busy  :

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!