How to Survive a Kitchen Remodel

Posted by Glenwood Custom Cabinetry Glenwood Custom Cabinetry

So you've decided to redo  your kitchen....won't it be nice to have all the things you've been wanting finally installed in your home??

But wait!  Before you can get to the "AFTER" photo, you have to endure the "DURING" phase, which no one seems to go over much in the planning of the new design.

Here are some things to keep in mind as you progress through the project:

>As hard as we try, it will, at some point, be necessary to be without the comforts of home (at least in your kitchen).  ....and as these necessities are removed from your kitchen, it's good to have a back-up plan:

If possible, try and create a "temporary kitchen" within another location of your home.  You may be without running water in the sink, but some things will still be usable, such as a coffee maker, toaster oven and microwave.  I also enlisted the help of my steamer, as well as my trusty outdoor grill!!

Knowing that the remodel is coming up, try and plan accordingly.  If the cabinets take 6-8 weeks to order, consider making double the volume of your meals so that you can freeze some for later.  Be sure to freeze them in microwave-safe containers if that's how you plan to reheat them later...

....and plan for a few nights of take out or simply heading to the restaurant just to save your sanity!

And as much as we prepare the space for work, there still may be some residual dust.  There are two things that can help keep the dust to a minimum throughout the rest of the house...First, when the workers will be in your home, try covering the vents to eliminate the circulation of the dust.  Also cover the return vents so that the dust doesn't enter the other rooms in your home.

Additionally, there are plastic tarps with zippers available so that crews can access the room without permanently forfeiting the barrier to the rest of the home.  Like this:

Remember, too, that as much as your installers want to finish on time, they want to ensure that you are completely happy with the installation for years to come....  Have patience and understanding if the job does not stay on the planned schedule.  Everyone wants the job to go quickly and seamlessly, but if things change, it's more impressive to me how quickly they a.) alert you to these changes, b.) present you with a plan of action and c.) carry it out!

In the end, the clients' satisfaction is the goal.  ...and hopefully the minor pain of this disruptive process will be a distant memory as you enjoy your new kitchen for years to come!