Regrets, I've had a few....

Posted by Glenwood Custom Cabinetry Glenwood Custom Cabinetry
Just like the Old Sinatra song, many folks have regrets on a kitchen project.  In fact, I often tell people that if they really want to get opinions from family and friends, the best thing they can ask them is what they regret not doing rather than what they did.

Six months after you buy a new car, doesn't it just figure that the newer version of your car comes out??  So, too, can be the case with kitchens.  New accessories, new finishes, new versions of your cabinets....and that's life, and cannot be avoided....but the real regret comes when someone says, "Why didn't you do such-n-such" and your reply is, "What's a such-n-such?"  That's the heartbreaker!  You missed out on something that WAS available, you just didn't know about it!!

One of two things could have avoided that:  1.)  HOMEWORK. LOTS OF IT.  Search, scan, read & learn about the latest in kitchen design.  Figure out what's a fad and what's essential.  Survey friends to determine their impressions of the latest innovations.

or, 2.)  Hire a good designer.  Your designer will be able to tell you about all of the newest trends and discern for you whether or not they are right for you based upon your space and your lifestyle.

As beautiful as we want our kitchen to be, if it's not fully functional than it's missed the goal.  Form must follow function.  When I visit a friend with a new kitchen, the first thing they want to show me is not the look of the exterior of the cabinets, it's what's inside!  Invest in some key organizational accessories that work for you.

A worthy investment for me is something that better utilizes the dreaded corner cabinet.  this unit pulls out into daylight to give full access and visibility to all inside.

Here's another favorite.  Knives at the ready but because this is 2-tiered, there's no waste of space and the sharps are concealed from the little ones in the house.

....then there are spices....do you even know how many you have??  Are they all the same size?  How often do you use them?  these are the questions a good designer should have the answers to before designing.  ....with these answers, the designer will know which storage solution is best for you:

As you can see, the choices are many and it takes work to know which works best for your needs.....and that's just spices!!

I know; it's overwhelming!  But that's why I believe option 2 is best.  Find a designer that asks the right questions; digs a little deeper to understand how you live in your space now and what will make the room more efficient and comfortable for you and your family for years to come.

....and then you can say, "I did it MY WAY" ; )